Fish - Prawn Pilaf
This is a great and terrifically easy dish, and it can be played about with all sorts of combinations.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 225 gm long grain white rice
- 700 ml fish
- chicken or veg stock
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 400 gm peeled cooked prawns
- To garnish – a handful of whole cooked prawns
- lemon wedges
- Greek black olives
- Serve with Pecorino cheese to grate over
- Cubes of Greek feta cheese
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Heat the oil in a large lidded frying pan – I use a large stainless steel sauté pan. Add the onion, red pepper and garlic. Fry for 5 mins until softened.
Add the rice and cook for 2-3 mins., stirring all the time until the grains look transparent.
Add the stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Cover the pan with a tightly fitting lid (I cover first with a layer of foil, then add the lid.) Simmer for 15 mins until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Do not stir during cooking.
When cooked, very gently stir in the prawns. Remove lid. Cover pan with a clean tea towel. Replace lid and leave in a warm place for 20 minutes.
Stir with a fork gently to separate the grains. Serve and garnish with the whole prawns, olives and lemon wedges. Pop the two cheeses on the table to serve with it.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (466 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (240 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Tasty Southwest Quesadilla 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Feta and tomato omlette 3.3/5 (144 Votes)
- Pilau and Peaches 4/5 (15 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.