An easy way to use up any limp lettuce that is sitting in your fridge
- ½ iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium onion
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 potato
- 1 tsp dried allspice
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp pumpkin seed oil
- Vegetable stock
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Finely chop the onion, celery, garlic and potato and fry using a tsp of pumpkin seed oil. (Other oil can be used, but this gives a nice deep flavour.)
Add the allspice and mustard seeds to the onions and continue to cook until the spices become aromatic.
Roughly chop the lettuce and add to the mix, stir until wilted.
Pour vegetable stock into the pan until it covers the vegetables and is about an inch above the vegetables.
Cover and simmer on a medium heat for 25 minutes.
Use a handblender to puree the soup, if it is too thick add more water until it is to the desired consistency. Cover and cook on a low heat for 5 more minutes.
Add black pepper and serve.
You can use any type of lettuce in this. My favourite is rocket.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (363 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (240 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (176 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (195 Votes)
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Beef stew 3.4/5 (149 Votes)
- Greek salad 3.7/5 (113 Votes)