Leek and parsnip bake.
Good hearty vegetarian dish that is different!
- 2 large parsnips peeled and sliced
- 2 large leeks washed and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes cubed
- 4 oz /100g cooked pasta
- 300ml/half pint milk
- 40g 1 and a half oz butter
- 25g/1oz plain flour
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ready made mustard
- 175g/6 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 50g/2oz breadcrumbs
- tin chopped tomatoes
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Steam or boil potatoes, leeks and parsnips until tender
Put the milk butter and flour in a pan. Heat and stir continuously until it thickens. Add seasoning, mustard, 150g/50z of the cheese and add cayenne to taste.
Melt the remaining butter and fry breadcrumbs till golden brown.
Layer half the vegetable, pasta and tinned tomatoes in a casserole type dish and pour over half the sauce.
Repeat the layers finishing with the sauce. Sprinkle with the fried breadcrumbs and remaining cheese.
Bake at 190 degrees/ (375f)/ gas mark 5 for 30 minutes.
Good dish to assemble in advance and cook at the last minute.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (235 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (176 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (192 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (156 Votes)
- Cheesy Leek & Bacon Pasta 3.5/5 (143 Votes)
- Chicken and Mushroom Lasagne 4.2/5 (78 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.