The delicious little sweets are easy to make, and make a great gift for friends!
- 125g/4½oz icing sugar
- 125g/4½oz ground almonds
- 90g/3½oz free-range egg whites
- 2 tbsp water
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- food colouring
- 150ml/5fl oz double or whipped cream
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 170°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
Put the icing sugar, ground almonds and 40g of egg white together in a large bowl and mix, forming a paste.
Put the water and caster sugar in a small pan and heat gently to melt the sugar.Turn up the heat and boil until the mixture starts to thicken, and go syrupy.
Whisk the remaining 50g egg white in a bowl until medium-stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed from the bowl. Pour in the sugar syrup, whisking until the mixture becomes stiff and shiny.
(For coloured macaroons, add a few drops of food colouring. Tip this meringue mixture into the almond paste mixture and stir gently until the becomes stiff and shiny again.)
Put the mixture into a piping bag. With the bag held vertically, pipe 4cm flat circles onto the lined tray, about 2cm apart, twisting the bag after each one
The piping will leave a small ‘tip’ on each circle so, when they’re all piped, give the tray 2–3 slams on a flat surface to flatten them.
Leave to stand for 30 minutes, then bake in the oven with the door slightly ajar until firm. (Approx 12 miutes). Remove from the oven, lift the paper off the baking tray and leave the macaroons to cool on the paper.
Leave to cool, then sandwich the macaroons together with whipped cream.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (202 Votes)
- Easiest Shortbread Recipe EVER. 3.4/5 (203 Votes)
- The best sarnie in the... 3.6/5 (160 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (155 Votes)
- Croque mademoiselle 3.5/5 (160 Votes)
- Peppermint Creams 3.7/5 (142 Votes)
- Raspberry Rose Cupcakes 3.9/5 (118 Votes)
- French Calissons (almost) like in... 3.6/5 (154 Votes)