Guilty Free Chocolate Muffins with Hot Chocolate Custard
Chocolate pudding doesn't need to be a guilty pleasure every time - just 215 calories each - and there's a lemon version too
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 100g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g caster sugar
- 100ml skimmed milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- plus extra for greasing
- 6 pieces of milk chocolate (for fudgy centre)
- For the hot chocolate custard
- 2 x 150g pots low-fat custard
- 25g dark chocolate
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Average budget
Pre-heat oven to 170C/fan 150C/gas 5.
Brush 6 holes of a muffin tin with a drop of oil.
Sieve the cocoa into a large bowl, then add the rest of the dry ingredients.
Stir to combine, then make a well in the centre.
Beat the milk, egg and oil together in a jug, pour into the well, then stir quickly to make a batter.
Spoon into the muffin tin, push a piece of chocolate inside (makes a fudgy centre when baked!!) then bake for 15 mins or until risen and firm to the touch.
Heat the custard in the microwave according to instructions, or in a pan, then tip in the chopped chocolate and stir until smooth.
Turn the puddings into bowls and pour the custard over.
Make them zingy
Lemon curd cakes with custard: To make your own luscious lemon puddings, omit the cocoa and add an extra tbsp flour and the zest of 1 lemon. Once golden, top with a small blob of lemon curd and serve with plain low-fat custard.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.6/5 (429 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Thai style turkey burgers with... 3.5/5 (157 Votes)
- Oil-free mayonnaise 3.5/5 (160 Votes)
- Molten chocolate Cupcakes 3.9/5 (108 Votes)
- Low Fat Cranberry & Walnut Muffins 4.2/5 (79 Votes)
- MARS BAR SQUARES 3.4/5 (140 Votes)