Malai Posto Chicken ( Chicken in Coconut Milk and Poppy seeds)
By Joydeep Pal
Malai Posto Chicken is a dish which can be found in the state of Bengal, where poppy seeds are used widely in curries. Owing to the different ingredients, the final curry emanates a zing of sweetness yet hot in nature.
- 1 kg Chicken (washed and medium pcs)
- 200 ml Coconut Milk
- 3 or 4 Green Chillies
- 20gm Finely Sliced Ginger
- 2 tablespoons of Ginger Garlic Paste (Optional)
- 4-6 tablespoons of Oil : Mustard (preferred)/Sunflower oil
- Medium Size Onion: 2 nos
- Poppy Seeds: 100gm (Paste)
- Cummin Whole(Jeera): 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon (Darchini): 1/4 of a stick
- Cardamom (Elaichi): 3 small one
- Clove (Labongo/laung): 3
- Black pepper powder (Golmorich) : 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam Masala: ½ teaspoon
- Cumin powder (Jeera): 1 table-spoon
- Turmeric powder (Halud/Haldi): 1 tea-spoon
- Sugar: 1 tea-spoon
- Salt to Taste
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Mix the chicken in bowl with the following ingredients, coconut milk, chopped ginger, ginger garlic paste, onion paste, cummin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, poppy seed paste and salt along with 3 tablespoons of oil. Keep it aside to marinade for 30mins.
Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the chopped onions till they start turning golden and keep them separate.
Then, add the cummin, black pepper, cardamom, clove and cinnamon to fry little bit.
Add green chillies and then add the marinated chicken slowly mixing in the pan. Put a lid and cook in the medium heat/flame for 10 mins.
Keep checking at regular interval so that the bottom doesn’t get stuck at the bottom. If the chicken is more than half cooked, then add some water and cook till they are fully cooked.
Serve Hot with pulao.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.6/5 (161 Votes)
- Vegetable Supercurry 3.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Chaing-Mai Sticky Rice with Mango 3.5/5 (148 Votes)
- Kinder Bueno Cake 3.3/5 (160 Votes)
- Sweet Peanut Sauce 3.5/5 (140 Votes)
- Mango chicken curry 3.4/5 (139 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.