Easy red wine sauce
An easy red wine and shallot sauce to accompany beef, steak, roasts...
- 400ml red wine
- 400ml beef or chicken stock
- 5-6 shallots
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- a sprig or two
- balsamic vinegar
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Fry the shallots in a pan with some olive oil over a high heat until lightly browned, stirring often. Season with ground black pepper.
Add the crushed garlic and the rosemary.
Cook for a few more minutes, continuing to stir often - you don't want the shallots to burn!
Add about 5 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and cook until reduced to a syrup. Add the redwine and cook again until reduced by two thirds.
Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced by two-thirds again, to around 250ml.
Pour through a sieve to remove the garlic and rosemary.
Season with salt to taste and add a knob of butter. Whisk to thicken slightly.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tasty Southwest Quesadilla 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- Microwave Chocolate Pudding and... 3.4/5 (187 Votes)
- Beef and red wine ragu 3.5/5 (145 Votes)
- Pasta with wine sauce and peas 3.5/5 (132 Votes)
- Bailey Bolognese 3.7/5 (115 Votes)
- Sweet Potato & Quinoa In a Jar 4.5/5 (40 Votes)
- Pork roast in red wine sauce 4.3/5 (8 Votes)