Emma’s Italian Pear and Cherry Pie
A delicious Pear and Cherry Pie that my beautiful Italian neighbour made for me with fresh fruit from her garden and homemade pastry.
- Fresh Pears
- Cherries (or apples or other stone fruits)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Cherry Jam (or other jam to ‘match’ fruit)
- 300g Self-Raising Flour
- 75g Cornflour
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 200g butter
- 1 Egg
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Peel and slice pears. De-pip cherries.
Cook on low heat with one tablespoon sugar till fruit is soft but still holds shape. Cool.
Mix together flour, cornflour and caster sugar.
Rub in butter till crumbly.
Add egg to bind dry ingredients together into a ball. Wrap in clingwrap and place in fridge for half an hour.
Place circle of greaseproof paper on board (slightly larger than pie dish, remembering pastry has to go up the sides).
Lightly spray with vegetable oil spray.
Put aside some pastry to make lattice.
Roll out remaining pastry lightly to the size of the pie dish.
It will be crumbly (‘short’). Lift greaseproof paper with pastry on it, gently into the glass pie dish.
Use a fork to prick the bottom of the pastry all over (this helps the juice from the fruit to enrich the pastry.
Spread the bottom of the pastry with jam.
Fill the pastry case with the cooked fruit. Roll out remaining pastry into strips to make lattice over the top of the pie.
Cook for 35 – 40 minutes at 180°C.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Roast Squash with Pear and Kiwi... 3.6/5 (157 Votes)
- Italian Meat Balls in Tomato Sauce 3.6/5 (145 Votes)
- homemade sausage rolls 3.4/5 (158 Votes)
- Best Bolognese 3.5/5 (144 Votes)
- Pork & Pears 3.5/5 (144 Votes)
- Gingerbread, pear and foie gras... 4.1/5 (113 Votes)