Chicken and mushroom potato pie
A healthier alternative to a pastry pie
- 400g chicken breast
- 6 medium size potatoes
- ½ onion
- 300g mushrooms
- 1tsp sage
- 1tsp cracked black pepper
- ½tsp dried parsley
- 295g tinned condensed mushroom soup
- 1tbsp butter
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Cost Average budget
Peel and chop the potatoes into quarters and add to a pan of boiling water. Cover and cook for 20 minutes until they are soft and a fork will go in easily.
Whilst the potatoes are cooking finely chop the onion and fry in 1 tsp vegetable oil or spray oil until translucent.
Chop the chicken into 1 inch cubes and add to the onion fry until the meat has browned.
Quarter the mushrooms and add to the chicken. Stir well and cover. Cook on a medium heat for 2 minutes.
Add the sage, black pepper and mushroom soup and mix well. Cover and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes. Pour the mix into an ovenproof dish.
Drain the potatoes and add the butter and parsley. Add a little milk and mash the potatoes, continue to add the milk a little at a time until all lumps are gone and the potatoes are a firm but creamy mashed potato consistency. Place potatoes on top of the chicken and spread it out to completely cover. Run a fork up and down gently to makes lines in the potato, as this helps the potato brown on top.
Cook in the oven at 220°C for 20-30 minutes until the potato starts to go brown and crispy.
For a change use sweet potatoes instead of normal ones, just omit the milk from the mash.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Gluten-free No-bake Banoffee Pie 3.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Full English Breakfast 3.4/5 (157 Votes)
- Leek,onion and mushroom pie 3.8/5 (112 Votes)
- Chicken and Mushroom Lasagne 4.2/5 (80 Votes)
- Mushroom Pasta 3.5/5 (135 Votes)