A tangy southern dish
- 2-3kg pork shoulder joint
- 3 large carrots
- 1 onion
- 4 sticks of celery
- 330mls cola
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried allspice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 270mins
Cost Average budget
Mix brown sugar, cayenne powder, cumin, allspice, and smoked paprika and put aside.
Quarter the onion and celery and add to a large oven proof pan, slice the carrots lengthways and place in the pan with the onions and celery.
Add the cola to the pan.
Rub the spice mix into the pork shoulder and place on top of the vegetables.
Cover and cook in the oven for 4 hours at 100°C.
Remove lid from pan and place back in the oven and continue to cook at 200°C for 20-30 minutes until crackling is crisp.
Remove the pork from the pan and take off the crackling and set it aside as garnish. Shred pork and serve with bbq sauce.
If you do not have cola, you can use ½ pint of chicken stock instead.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.6/5 (146 Votes)
- Ryan's Tomato Pasta 4.3/5 (71 Votes)
- Mushroom Pasta 3.5/5 (135 Votes)
- Cheesy Jack BBQ Chicken 3.8/5 (110 Votes)
- BBQ'd Pineapple 3.8/5 (109 Votes)
- Chicken fajitas 3.4/5 (135 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.