The Best Pesto
A firm favourite in our house used as a dip, for pizza & bruschetta and pasta dishes.
- 110g/4oz Fresh Basil Leaves
- 25g/2oz Pine Nuts
- 40g/1.5oz Fresh Parmesan Cheese (finely grated
- but not too fine)
- 1 Garlic Clove (peled and crushed)
- 170-225ml/6-8fl oz Olive Oil
- Instead of basil can use : 50g/2oz Wild Garlic Leaves or the same of Rocket
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 2mins
Cost Average budget
This can be done in a Pestle & Mortar or in a blender:
Mix (in blender) or pound (in pestle & mortar) the basil, garlic and olive oil.
Use the full amount of oil when making a sauce/drizzle & less to use on pizza etc.
Put into a bowl and gently blend in the parmesan.
IMPORTANT - Store in a sealed jar in the fridge & whenever you use some from it cover it with a thin layer of olive oil.
If you want to freeze it don't add the parmesan, you can add this to the defrosted blend.
This will fill 2x 225g jars.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.7/5 (479 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (237 Votes)
- Tasty Southwest Quesadilla 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (176 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (192 Votes)
- Mille-feuille of asparagus and... 3.3/5 (213 Votes)
- Stir fried Garlic Beef with Oyster... 3.5/5 (156 Votes)
- Zigeuner Sauce (Gypsy Sauce) 3.4/5 (159 Votes)