Warm mulled wine, perfect for the winter weather.
- 5 fl oz Port
- 2 Oranges
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 200g sugar
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 star anise
- Chipotle extract
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 15mins
Zest the fruits and peel roughly adding the peel to the wine
Place the zest, sugar, cloves, lightly snapped star anise, cinnamon and sliced vanilla pod to the sugar and cover just with wine and boil heavily until you have a thick syrup
Once the syrup is ready turn down to a low simmer and pour in the rest of your wine along with the orange segments, feel free to add a slice or two of lemon and lime for a livlier alternative. and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
Strain into a new pot and combine the chipotle extract (hot sauce) brandy, and squeeze the orange segments to release thier juices at this stage.
Use the syrup as a delicious table sauce perfect for christmas turkey.
Avoid the cheapest wine, £10 bracket should be ideal, feel free to combine for a different flavour with a strong earthy wine.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Non-alcoholic Mojito Smoothie! 4.6/5 (803 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (212 Votes)
- Hearty meatball bake 3.4/5 (177 Votes)
- Dandelion cordial 3/5 (185 Votes)
- Beef and red wine ragu 3.5/5 (143 Votes)
- Double chocolate chip frappe 3.3/5 (147 Votes)
- Pasta with wine sauce and peas 3.5/5 (130 Votes)