These make mouthwatering starters or are good for a party. They can also be served as part of a main course. Everyone always asks me for the recipe when I make them!
- 1 medium onion
- 2 to 3 green chillies
- or to taste
- 4 large cloves of garlic
- 2.5cm (1 in) piece root ginger
- 2 medium potatoes
- 675g (1 1/2 lb) lamb or chicken mince
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon gram (chickpea) flour OPTIONAL
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon chilli powder
- or to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
- good handful of finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- oil for frying (or can be made in the grill or oven with very little oil)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Process the onion, green chillies, garlic and root ginger in a food processor until finely chopped.
Finely grate the potatoes and rinse thoroughly with water. Squeeze out as much water as possible by squeezing the grated potato in a sieve or clean tea towel.
In a large bowl, combine the onion mixture and the potatoes with the mince and the remaining ingredients. Mix well
Take handfuls of the mixture and shape into sausages or round patties. Place under a hot grill at the highest setting, or cook on a barbecue heated to high heat. Turn over once whilst cooking. Kebabs are done when both sides are crisp and browned, and when juices run clear.
if frying, heat the oil then turn turn to medium and fry these to light golden colour.
Serve hot with slices of onion and lemon wedges, salad and a raita yogurt or as a side dish with rice etc.
The Kebabs can be fried or for the health conscious made under the grill or in the oven with just a little sprinkle of oil so they don't stick.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.7/5 (496 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (176 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.2/5 (197 Votes)
- Chicken Caesar Salad 3.7/5 (185 Votes)
- Lamb Samosa 3.3/5 (190 Votes)
- Stir fried Garlic Beef with Oyster... 3.5/5 (158 Votes)
- Zigeuner Sauce (Gypsy Sauce) 3.4/5 (163 Votes)