Fluffy american pancakes
Light, fluffy pancakes that you can add fruit, spices or chocolate to.
- 135g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 130ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter or olive oil
- plus extra for cooking
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a large bowl. In a speerate bowl or jug, lightly whisk together the milk and egg, then whisk in the melted butter/oil.
Pour the milk mixutre into the flour mixture and, using a fork, beat until you have a smooth batter. Any lumps will soon disappear with a little mixing. Let the batter stand for a few minutes.
Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter. When it's melted, add a ladle of batter (or two if your frying pan is big enough to cook two pancakes at the same time). It will seem very thick but this is how it should be. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1cm thick.
Repeat until all the batter is used up.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (202 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (155 Votes)
- Croque mademoiselle 3.5/5 (160 Votes)
- Gluten-free No-bake Banoffee Pie 3.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Easy Peasy Cupcake Recipe For Kids 3.5/5 (145 Votes)
- Rockin' Rocky Road 4.2/5 (83 Votes)
- Pancakes 3.5/5 (142 Votes)