Haddock and corn chowder
- 1 stalk celery
- olive oil
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- peeled and cut into cubes
- bunch of spring onions – finely chopped
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 4 corn on the cob
- 1 x 300g fillet of smoked haddock
- skin off
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 litre vegetable or chicken stock (if vegetable use homemade)
- 150ml single cream
- 200g cooked peeled prawns
- fresh parsley
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 13mins
Cost Average budget
Slice the bacon and add to the saucepan with a splash of olive oil. Once golden, turn down the heat, add the spring onions, celery and stir.
Add the potatoes to the pan after a few minutes, stirring often.
Cut the kernels from the corn cob (place the cob upright on a tea towel and run a knife gently down each side. Use the tea towel to gather up the kernels which go everywhere!). Now add these kernels to the pan.
Flake the smoked haddock into the saucepan (ensuring there aren’t any bones left in), adding the bay leaves, thyme and stock.
Place the lid on the saucepan, bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Turn the heat down low, remove the bay leaves and the thyme sprigs. Then, add the 150ml of single cream as well as the peeled prawns and stir well.
If desired, use a potato masher to roughly mash half of the mixture before combining it all together again.
Ladle into bowls and top with fresh parsley.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Full English Breakfast 3.4/5 (156 Votes)
- The ultimate makeover: Fish & chips 4.1/5 (91 Votes)
- Creamy Clam Chowder 3.7/5 (96 Votes)
- Crab, Corn and Pepper Rice Salad 3.5/5 (106 Votes)
- Healthy Carrot Soup 3.2/5 (120 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.