Chocolate and Pear Tart
This tart is the only thing I actually like pears in, so definitely something for everyone to try.
- For the pastry:
- 50g unsalted butter
- 100g plain white flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- For the filling:
- 3 tbsp ginger marmalade
- 1 tin of pears
- 100g good quality dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- yolks seperated from whites
- 100g caster sugar
- You will also need baking beans
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
To make the pastry, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Sift in the cocoa powder, add the sugar and the egg to bind the mixture together (you might not have to add the whole egg).
Bring the mixture together with as light a touch as possible, wrap in greaseproof paper and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry and use to line a 20cm cake tin. Then rest this in the fridge for 30 minutes, and preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
Bake blind for 15 minutes, then remove the beans, prick the base with a fork and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
To make the filling, melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan on a low heat - stirring constantly - then set aside to cool.
Beat together the egg yolks and sugar until pale and fluffy, fold in the chocolate mixture. Whisk the egg whites until they form small peaks when you take out the whisk, then add to the mixture.
Cover the bottom of the tart with the marmalade, then pour the mixture into it, arrange the pears on top and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the chocolate has formed a crust.
Serve with ice cream, mascarpone or whipped cream to take it to the next level of extravagance.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (466 Votes)
- Strawberry Tart 3.5/5 (202 Votes)
- Pineapple and ginger cheesecake 3/5 (227 Votes)
- Roast Squash with Pear and Kiwi... 3.6/5 (157 Votes)
- Sweet Dreamy Romantic Raspberry... 3.4/5 (155 Votes)
- Raspberry tart 3.8/5 (148 Votes)
- Green Tea with Ginger, Honey and... 4.7/5 (49 Votes)
- Romantic Chocolate Kissing Pie 3.7/5 (119 Votes)