Triple Chocolate Layer Cake
- Chocolate Cake
- 3/4 cup (169 grams) butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup (210 grams) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp (8 grams) baking powder
- 1 tbsp (5 grams) cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 oz (58 grams) semi-sweet chocolate melted
- Chocolate Frosting
- 2 cups (480 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 13 oz ( 364 grams) semi-sweet chocolate
- Chocolate shavings to decorate
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8 inch springform with parchment paper or lightly grease with baking spray. Set aside
Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the buttermilk.
Stir in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
In the end add the melted chocolate to the cake batter and pour it into the prepared baking pan.
Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Leave to cool slightly before removing from the pan and completely before cutting the layers.
In a small sauce pan add the heavy cream and bring to a boil.Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
Cover and let chill 1 hour at room temperature and about 4 hours in the fridge until set and firm.
Whisk the mixture until light and fluffy. You you want it creamier, just whisk for a minute. If you'd like more of a whipped chocolate frosting, whisk until soft peaks form.
Using 2/3 of the chocolate frosting sandwich the cake layers.
With the remaining chocolate frosting cover the sides and the top of the cake.
Decorate with chocolate shavings.
Let the cake rest for few hours, or better overnight, before slicing it.
Serve at room temperature
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- 5 minute chocolate fondant mug... 3.7/5 (236 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Soft centre chocolate cake in the... 3.3/5 (262 Votes)
- Choco-nuts brioche bread and... 3.2/5 (256 Votes)
- Witchhat Gingerbread Cupcakes 4.6/5 (96 Votes)
- The best sarnie in the... 3.6/5 (163 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (156 Votes)
- Croque mademoiselle 3.5/5 (167 Votes)