Spicy Apple Bars
The bars can be eaten either hot or cold and go well with either cream, ice-cream or custard.
- 175g plain flour
- 1/2 level teaspoon salt
- 75g margarine & 75g light soft brown sugar.
- Topping: 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 1 level teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 small or 1 large cooking apple & 25g butter
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Sift flour & salt then rub in margarine until mix is like breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar and spread this mixture loosely in a greased shallow baking tin.
For the topping mix the sugar & cinnamon. Peel, core & slice the apples then lightly press them into the mixture in the tin. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mix on the top and dot with the butter.
Bake in a pre-heated oven (200 degrees C) for 35-40 mins. Cut into 6 bars and serve hot or cold with cream, ice-cream or custard.
Freezes and re-heats well.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (468 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (363 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (212 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (205 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Apple pancakes with cinnamon 3.4/5 (129 Votes)
- Apple and cinnamon crumble without... 4.3/5 (18 Votes)