By Sophie H
- One whole chicken or joint of beef/lamb/pork
- Roasting veg e.g. sweet potatoes
- Olive oil (ordinary oil will do) / butter for chicken
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Roast the meat according to instructions. If chicken, add butter and herbs, otherwise use oil (plus salt if pork is being used).
Peel and parboil all root vegetables (incl. potatoes) for around 10 minutes. The potatoes should be smashed a little so that their edges are not smooth.
The vegetables will need around one hour to roast (though could be put in with a joint which needs up to around an hour and a half) - add a generous amount of oil and some fresh herbs before roasting. NB they should be placed in a separate roasting tin to the meat, to avoid juices soaking them.
Serve with gravy.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Roast Squash with Pear and Kiwi... 3.6/5 (155 Votes)
- Thai style turkey burgers with... 3.5/5 (157 Votes)
- Moroccan marinated chicken with... 3.5/5 (150 Votes)
- Meatballs and Mustard Mash 3.8/5 (111 Votes)
- good and proper steak pie 4.1/5 (81 Votes)
- Hermitage Roast Potatoes 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sweet and Sour Tomatoes with Feta... 3.1/5 (93 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.