- 1tbsp icing sugar
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 6 leaves gelatine
- 2 large egg whites
- 185g golden caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2tsp ground ginger
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of allspice
- pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- 100g soft light brown muscavado sugar
- 2tbsp treacle
- 2tbsp golden syrup
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 300mins
Cost Average budget
Lightly grease a 20cm square baking tray. Line with baking paper and lightly grease again.
In a small bowl, sift together the icing sugar and cornflour.
Use a few teaspoons of the mix to dust the inside of the greased tray.
Place the gelatine leaves into a bowl of cold water and set aside.
Place the egg whites in a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, add 1tbsp of the caster sugar and the salt, but don't whisk.
In a separate small bowl, mix together the spices.
Heat the remaining caster sugar, light brown sugar, treacle and golden syrup in a medium saucepan with 150ml of water.
Bring to the boil then leave to simmer until the syrup reaches 115 degrees on the sugar thermometer.
Remove the pan from the heat and quickly turn the stand mixer on to whisk the egg whites to a stiff peak.
Drain the softened gelatine leaves and stir until melted in the syrup mixture.
Pour into the whipped egg whites, continuing to whisk on a low speed.
Increase to a medium speed, add the spices and continue to whisk for a further 3-4 minutes.
Pour into the prepared tin. Shake and give it a little wiggle to smooth out the top.
Leave to cool before covering with cling film and leave for a further 4 hours, or overnight, to set.
Once the marshmallows have set, turn out onto a work surface dusted with the remaining icing sugar and cornflour mix.
Using a sharp, lightly oiled knife, cut into squares.
Toss all squares in the icing sugar to ensure all sides are coated.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Non-alcoholic Mojito Smoothie! 4.6/5 (803 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (211 Votes)
- Easiest Shortbread Recipe EVER. 3.4/5 (204 Votes)
- Witchhat Gingerbread Cupcakes 4.6/5 (96 Votes)
- Gorgeous gingerbread men 3.6/5 (170 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Rockin' Rocky Road 4.2/5 (85 Votes)