These have a zesty lemon flavour and a sweet buttercream filling. Yummy!
- MACARONS INGREDIENTS:
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 whole lemon
- 1.5 cup OR 4 ounces almond flour
- 1 cup OR 8 ounces confectioners sugar
- 2.5 ounces OR 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- lemon yellow food coloring paste
- BUTTERCREAM INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- room temperature
- 1 ounce weight cream cheese
- room temperature
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
1. The night before, lay out the egg whites in a covered container at room temperature. It helps them hold together for the meringue better. Also, zest the lemon and lay it out on a plate or paper towel to dry.
2. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, trace circles to allow for easy piping.
3. Sift together the almond flour, confectioner’s sugar, and lemon zest. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand held mixer, add together the egg whites and granulated sugar. Turn the mixer to a medium and beat for 3 minutes. Then turn the mixer to a medium high and beat for another 3 minutes. Finally, turn the mixer to a high and beat for another 3 minutes.
5. Add the lemon juice and food coloring paste now also (a few drops of coloring first then, color to your desire). Whip together for one more minute on high. You should have a very stiff but soft meringue.
6. Add the dry ingredients you prepped earlier and fold together with a rubber spatula. Continue folding until all the ingredients are mixed together and you have a smooth batter. It should not be clumpy but very smooth.
7. Spoon some of the batter into a piping bag, twist the top of the piping bag closed and fill the circles on the parchment paper. You can leave some room as the batter will spread a bit.
8. Pick up the entire tray and drop it a couple inches from the table, or rap the sides to remove air bubbles. Do this a 3 to 4 times. Allow the macarons to sit at room temperature for 60 minutes.
9. They should be hard to the touch. After the full hour, bake for 18-20 minutes at 300 F. Let cool completely before adding filling.
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM:
1. With a mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
2. Add the lemon juice and vanilla. Blend until evenly mixed.
3. Add the confectioner’s sugar and beat on low until smooth.
4. Pipe the buttercream onto the macarons and top with the other halves.
5. Store in an airtight container refrigerated until ready to serve!