Snacks, Starters, and Nibbles - Red and Green Salsa
Salsa...simply Spanish for sauce..which does not do justice to this stunning summer dish that I made for an early evening garden supper. Why anyone buys this from a supermarket I do not understand – they never taste anything like the home made variety. This is one of my takes on a common theme of toms and chillies. We had it with stacks of warm ciabatta and prosciutto.
- 4 tasty toms -deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 cucumber peeled and deseeded
- 1 red chilli deseeded and chopped
- 1 green chilli deseeded and chopped
- 2 shallots - finely chopped
- Clove of garlic - finely chopped
- Bunch of Greek basil – the one with small leaves
- Balsamic vinegar
- Decent extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Budget Friendly
Pop all ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
Add a good glug of balsamic vinegar and about 5 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix again. Season to taste.
Refrigerate for a little while to let all the flavours collide, merge and marry.
The kick is good and the fresh feeling lingers long.