Spicy Thai Mango Salad
Cold salads on wintry January days aren’t easy. Especially, when it is gloomy outside and all you want is a hot plate of comfort.
I wanted something fresh, spicy and Thai yesterday. And, I needed it to be raw. A gorgeous Thai green papaya salad came to mind but I wasn’t going to find a Thai green papaya anywhere in my neighbourhood. Luckily, there was an unripe green mango at home with my name all over it.
It took no effort to put together this cheerful Thai style Mango Salad. It is packed full of flavour, healthy and so easy. Try it sometime – it makes being good, taste fabulous!
- 1 mango (green and firm on the outside)
- peeled and julienned or roughly cut into long strips
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 spicy red chillies
- finely chopped
- 4 green beans
- cut into small pieces
- 2 spring onions
- 2-3 teaspoons fish sauce (or vegetarian friendly fish sauce)
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A few peanuts for crunch
- Optional: Chopped basil and/or coriander leaves (I didn’t have any at home but would have tasted delicious in the salad)
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cost Budget Friendly
1. Cut all the fresh ingredients and place in a bowl.
2. Prepare the dressing by mixing the fish sauce, palm sugar and lemon juice.
3. Mix everything together and adjust fish sauce and palm sugar to your taste.
4. Sprinkle peanuts on top for some crunch.
5. Munch away!
My colourful Thai Mango Salad tastes perfect this way but you can also add prawns, chicken, meat or tofu to add more bulk.