This is a simple sandwich loaf recipe perfect to take on a picnic, inspired by the classic flavours of a croque monsieur.
- 1 loaf of unsliced bread. I used a bloomer style loaf
- but a sandwich loaf would work well
- 4-5 Slices ham
- 4 Slices gruyere cheese
- 1-2 beef tomato -sliced
- 2 roasted peppers
- 1 chicken breast roasted & chopped
- Dijon mustard
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cost Average budget
Slice the top off loaf of bread and leave to one side. Pull out bread from inside the loaf (I saved this to make breadcrumbs) melt the butter and paint the inside of the hollow bread with melted butter. Layer the cold ingredients. You can do in any order, but so it will look appealing once cut open. I found I needed more rocket than I expected. I started and finished with a layer of ham spread with mustard. You want to cram the food in so keep adding and squashing down. Add the bread lid that was set aside earlier. Wrap very tightly in clingfilm and put in fridge weighed down with tins for a few hours or preferably overnight. Once on your picnic just slice.
If you omit the rocket and are staying in the house I would imagine this is very tasty wrapped in foiled and warmed in the oven so the cheese oozes, or grilled so the bread is toasted.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (205 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (156 Votes)
- Croque mademoiselle 3.5/5 (166 Votes)
- Shortbread Snazzles 3.6/5 (151 Votes)
- Love Heart Cookies 3.4/5 (167 Votes)
- Gratin Dauphinois 4.2/5 (48 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.