The Great Katsu
The Great Katsu is a mixture of a English shortbread and an Asian curry.
- 125g/4oz butter
- 55g/2oz caster sugar
- 180g/6oz plain flour
- plus extra to sprinkle surface
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 - 2 tbsp korma paste
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cornflour
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 50mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
Put the ingredients in a pan. Pour in 500ml of cold water and heat, stirring, until boiling and thickened.
Cover an leave to simmer for 5 minutes. Leave on the lowest heat occasionally stirring until the shortbread is cooked.
Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
Beat the butter and the sugar together until smooth. Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste.
Turn onto a work surface and gently roll out until the paste is 1cm/half an inch thick.
Cut into triangle shapes - or any shapes you want really - and place on a baking tray. Sprinkle with caster sugar and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
While the shortbread is cooling spoon some of the sauce onto a plate and after the shortbread is cooled place three shortbread pieces around and serve.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (467 Votes)
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.7/5 (493 Votes)
- Tasty Southwest Quesadilla 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- Microwave Chocolate Pudding and... 3.4/5 (187 Votes)
- Shortbread Snazzles 3.6/5 (151 Votes)
- Stir fried Garlic Beef with Oyster... 3.5/5 (158 Votes)
- Vegetable Supercurry 3.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Full English Breakfast 3.4/5 (157 Votes)