Traditional Victoria Sponge Cake
You can't go wrong with this perfect party cake full of spongey goodness. Makes a super simple wedding cake too
- 200g caster sugar 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder 200g softened butter
- 2 tbsp milk 4 eggs
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
1.Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with non-stick baking paper. In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together until you have a smooth, soft batter.
2.Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon, then bake for about 20 mins until golden and the cake springs back when pressed. Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
3.To make the filling, beat the butter until smooth and creamy, then gradually beat in icing sugar. Beat in vanilla extract if you’re using it. Spread the butter cream over the bottom of one of the sponges, top it with jam and sandwich the second sponge on top. Dust with a little icing sugar before serving. Keep in an airtight container and eat within 2 days.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Pumpkin and cinnamon jam 3.4/5 (149 Votes)
- French Calissons (almost) like in... 3.6/5 (154 Votes)
- Recipe: Courgette and Apple Jam,... 3.5/5 (134 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Vanilla Sponge Cake with Chocolate... 4.2/5 (72 Votes)
- Christmas log with walnuts 4.2/5 (19 Votes)