This recipe for Hungarian Cream Puffs or Moors' Heads, Makes about 3 dozen small puffs or 1 dozen large puffs
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
- cut into small pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- whipped and sweetened to taste
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- melted and cooled slightly
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly coat 12 muffin tins with cooking spray. In a medium saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. When butter has completely melted, remove from heat and, using a wooden spoon, add flour all at once. Return to stove and stir over low heat for 2 or 3 minutes or until dough cleans sides of pan and forms a ball.
Remove from heat and stir in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Batter should be smooth and glossy and cling to the spoon.
For mini puffs, using a cookie scoop, portion out mounds of dough on baking sheet. For large indianers, fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake minis for 20 minutes, large puffs longer. They should be puffy, and golden brown on top and bottom. The interior will still be moist like a popover.
Let puffs cool completely before filling. For mini puffs, fill a pastry bag with a No. 6 plain tube and insert into side of puff and fill with sweetened whipped cream. Place a puff on a fork and dip in chocolate, or just dip the top.
For larger puffs (minis can also be prepared this way), cut the bottom off puff, remove the moist interior, fill with cream, level, replace the bottom and dip entire puff in chocolate or just the top. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready. Indianers don't hold well -- the puff becomes soggy -- so eat the day they are made.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (462 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (235 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Christmas Carrot Chocolate Nutty... 3.8/5 (197 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Soft centre chocolate cake in the... 3.3/5 (257 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (166 Votes)
- Peppermint Creams 3.7/5 (144 Votes)