Family favourite meal-in-a-soup with a Mexican twist. Recipe from an American friend. Very filling and great to feed a crowd on a budget.
- 500g mince
- 1 can kidney beans 420g
- 500g bag of frozen mixed veges
- 1 jar of salsa 250g (mild or medium depending on taste)
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 2 heaped teaspoons beef stock powder
- 1 litre of water
- Vegetable oil
- To Serve:
- Corn chips 175g (plain or cheesy)
- 250g grated tasty cheese (cheddar)
- 250g tub of sour cream
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
In a large saucepan, cook mince in about 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (about 5 minutes) using high heat initally, then reduce to medium to cook mince through, stirring.
Add all the other ingredients and stir well. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer and put lid on.
In a hurry? - Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water if necessary. (You can simmer for over an hour if you like).
Give a good stir so everyone gets some mince (it will fall to the bottom of the pan). Spoon into bowls
Serve with crushed corn chips - slit top of bag slightly to prevent bursting, then crush a little with the palm of your hand.
Sprinkle with grated cheese and top with a dollop of sour cream.
Double the quantities to serve around 8-10 people. Use large stock pot to cook. This dish also freezes well.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (456 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- Tasty Southwest Quesadilla 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Apple Rose Cake 3.8/5 (164 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (155 Votes)
- Love Heart Cookies 3.4/5 (167 Votes)
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.7/5 (144 Votes)