Green vegetable soup
A healthy soup with broccoli and wild cabbage
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot
- 4 cloves garlic
- 120ml dry white wine
- 2 – 3 medium heads of broccoli
- 750gr roughly chopped wild cabbage and/or spinach
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 littre organic vegetable stock
- 250ml milk (you can replace with double cream
- I just wanted to be lighter)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- crème fraîche or sour creme (to garnish)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Start by preparing all the vegetables. Finely chop the onion, carrot, garlic, and chives. Roughly chop the broccoli heads and the kale and spinach.
In a large soup pot heat the butter over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add the onion, carrot, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions become translucent.
Add the garlic, cooking until the garlic becomes fragrant. Add the kale and spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook until the kale and spinach are just wilted.
Add 2 tablespoons of chives stirring to incorporate. Pour in white wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Simmer for 2 -3 minutes.
Pour in the vegetable stock and all of the broccoli. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until the broccoli is tender.
Remove the bay leaf and carefully blend the soup in batches in a standing blender or directly in the pot.
Return the pureed soup to the pot and bring to a simmer over low heat. Stir in the milk(or heavy cream), lemon juice and additional salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Serve and garnish bowls with a dollop of sour cream and the remaining chives.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Thai style turkey burgers with... 3.5/5 (157 Votes)
- Healthy homemade thai prawn curry 3.7/5 (120 Votes)
- Salmon & broccoli cakes 3.5/5 (126 Votes)
- Baked turkey meatballs with... 3.4/5 (137 Votes)
- Soya cream of peppers soup 4/5 (115 Votes)
- Roasted Broccoli with Toasted... 3.3/5 (122 Votes)
- Velvety Broccoli and Stilton soup 2.1/5 (61 Votes)