A traditional Greek dish of chicken and pasta baked in the oven
- 1 whole chicken cut in pieces
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 300 gr orzo (or macaroni)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 40 ml olive oil
- 60ml white wine
- 2 bay leaves and oregano
- 150 gr feta cheese
- cream cheese (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
Start by washing and drying the chicken. Add the olive oil in a large deep pot over medium heat. Once the olive oil is heated add the chicken to sautée on both sides. Take the chicken out of the pan and add the onion and bay leaves. Cook the onion till it becomes transparent and place back the chicken. Add the wine and wait till it evaporates to add the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree with water (or chicken stock). Add salt and oregano and leave it to cook for about 20 min.
Take the chicken out of the pot again and add the orzo (or macaroni) making sure that the sauce is quite watery. Boil for about 20 min while stirring often and preheat the oven at 180°C. Transfer the orzo in an oven dish and add some water if needed. The secret in this recipe is to check it all the time for water. You don’t want it burnt/crunchy (although I kinda like it) but creamy. Cover with foil and bake for another 20 min.
Now you can place back the chicken in the oven dish (again check if orzo needs more water, it probably does) and if you want to add some extra creaminess add 2 full tbsp of cream cheese. Stir and leave it in the oven for another 20-25 min without covering this time.
When it’s ready crumble the feta cheese on top and stir gently. Serve generously and accompany with a good Chardonnay!
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Chicken and Mediterranean bake 5/5 (66 Votes)
- Creamy salmon and veggie pasta 3.4/5 (171 Votes)
- Café Frappe - Greek Iced Coffee 3.6/5 (122 Votes)
- Greek salad 3.7/5 (113 Votes)
- Easy Pasta Bake 4.4/5 (50 Votes)
- Mexican Pasta bake with a nacho... 3.4/5 (119 Votes)
- Ravioli bake with summer vegetables 3.2/5 (141 Votes)