Orange and Semolina cake
An unbelievably moist and really delicious cake that you just can't stop eating. The absolutely gorgeous orange syrup is what truly makes the cake truly special.
- Ingredients for cake :
- Semolina- 250 gm
- Golden caster sugar- 200 gm
- Butter- 250 gm
- Almonds ( ground)- 200 gm
- Greek yoghurt- 120gm
- Plain flour (maida)- 50 gm
- Eggs- 4
- Baking powder- 2 tsp
- Oranges- 2 (zest and juice)
- Ingredients for Orange Syrup :
- Oranges- 2 ( zest and juice)
- Cinnamon sticks- 1 inch- 2
- Sugar- 275 gm
- Water- 500 ml
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
Put all the ingredients for the syrup in a pan and bring to a simmer.
Keep stirring until all the sugar has dissolved. Do not disappear please, keep stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, till the consistency is quite syrupy, but not thick. You should be able to pour it onto the cake while serving.
Heat the oven to 160C or fan oven to 140C.
Grease a loose bottomed cake tin.
In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar and orange zest until pale and fluffy.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs one by one and then whisk them into the butter mixture, one at a time.
Now sift the flour and baking powder and fold into the butter mixture. Add in the semolina and almond powder. Add the orange juice and yogurt and mix gently. The mixture will look grainy and thick, like so.
Pour into the prepared tin.
Bake for about 1 hour or until firm to the touch. Test with a skewer, which should come out clean when inserted into the centre.
Remove the cake from the oven and pierce all over with a skewer. Pour half the hot syrup over the warm cake. Leave to cool.
While serving, pour in some more spoonfuls of that gorgeous orange syrup.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (455 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (191 Votes)
- Roast Squash with Pear and Kiwi... 3.6/5 (154 Votes)
- Apple & Orange Marmalade Cake 3.4/5 (141 Votes)
- Lithuanian Baked Cheesecake 3.6/5 (123 Votes)
- Kale and Chickpeas with Blood... 3.2/5 (133 Votes)