Apple Cardamom Cake with Quince Frosting
A deliciously fragrant autumnal cake recipe with apples, cardamom and a luxurious cream cheese frosting flavoured with quince.
- 150 grams caster sugar
- 115 grams light brown muscovado sugar
- 113 grams unsalted butter
- melted and cooled
- 2 small eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 220 grams plain flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 100 grams raw almonds
- coarsely chopped
- 365 grams apples
- cored and diced finely
- 250 grams full fat cream cheese
- 100 grams icing sugar
- 1 tbsp quince syrup
- 20 grams raw almonds
- coarsely chopped
- quince syrup
- to serve
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 50mins
Cost Average budget
Grease and line an 8" square baking tin. Preheat oven to 180C/350 F.
Stir sugars together in a large bowl and add the butter, eggs and vanilla to make a thick batter.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt.
Add the apples and almonds to the dry mixture and coat thoroughly before stirring into the wet mixture until just combined.
Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Leave to cool in the tin before transferring to an airtight container until the next day.
Blend the cream cheese, sieved icing sugar and quince syrup together until smooth.
Spread frosting over the top of the cake and sprinkle over the chopped nuts.
To serve, cut cake into 4 x 4 (16) squares and drizzle with quince syrup.
Maple syrup can be used to replace the quince syrup, if it is unavailable.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (451 Votes)
- Toffee Apple Cupcakes 3.8/5 (151 Votes)
- Flaked Fish Curry with Tumeric and... 3.4/5 (134 Votes)
- Autumn Cake (apple and parsnip... 3.4/5 (121 Votes)
- AMERICAN PISTACHIOS WITH GINGER,... 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Cardamom and Pistachio Rice Pudding 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Quince salad with a chocolate heart 3.9/5 (72 Votes)