Cottage Pie with Butternut Thatch
- 900g (2lb) potatoes
- cut into chunks
- 500g (1lb 2oz) prepared butternut squash
- or one
- small butternut squash
- peeled and cut into chunks
- 500g (1lb 2oz) extra lean minced beef
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Put the potatoes and
butternut squash into a large
saucepan. Cover with boiling
water and add a pinch of salt.
Cover and simmer for
15-20 minutes, until tender.
Meanwhile, heat a large
saucepan and add the mince
a handful at a time, to sear and
brown it (this is important to
get a good flavour). Add the
onion, carrot and parsley, then
add 300ml (1/2 pint) boiling
water. Simmer without a lid
for 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 200 C /
fan oven 180 C / Gas Mark 6.
Sprinkle the Bisto Gravy
Granules into the mince
mixture, stirring until thickened.
Transfer to a baking dish. Drain
the potatoes and butternut
squash, then mash them with
the milk and season with black
pepper. Spoon on top of the
mince, using a fork to roughen
Bake in the oven for 20-25
minutes, until golden brown.
If you’re short of time, spoon
the piping hot mince mixture
into a warmed baking dish, pile
the hot mash on top, then cook
under the grill for 5-6 minutes
to brown the surface.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (211 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Strawberry Trifle with Ambrosia... 3.5/5 (202 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Roast Squash with Pear and Kiwi... 3.6/5 (157 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic chilli con carne 4.1/5 (116 Votes)